Skanks

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Wed Feb 19 18:56:39 UTC 2003

> I heard "skank" mainly in college (UF), 1992-1996, when it was used to
> mean "a person who is unclean or infected with god-knows-what due to
> sleeping around".  A slut with good hygiene and enough sense to keep
> promiscuous sex as safe as possible would not be a skank.

That jives with my experience with "skank" in high school and college (late
70s, early 80s), although it didn't refer only risk of catching something. A
"skank" is a promiscuous woman with other undesirable qualities (bad
hygiene, not good looking, bad disposition, etc.). A "slut" is simply a
promiscuous woman.

A slut is a girl you don't take home to mom.
A skank is a girl you don't take home to your fraternity brothers.