Upside down E was Re: Mathematical Symbols

Barbara Need nee1 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Thu Feb 20 15:47:28 UTC 2003

Quoting "Baker, John" <JMB at STRADLEY.COM>:

>         It's easier to understand what Barbara Need is saying if you imagine
> a capital F instead of a capital E.  The right-side-up F has bars in the
> middle and top of the letter, pointing to the right.  What would an upside
> down F look like?  If the paper is simply rotated on a vertical axis (i.e.,
> the paper remains flat on the desk and is turned around, or the viewer walks
> to the other side of the desk), the two bars of the F, now at the middle and
> bottom of the letter, will point to the left.  But I think of an upside-down
> F as having bars that point to the right, just as they do when the letter is
> right-side-up.

> John Baker

That certainly helps. But for me, a rotation on the vertical axis would involve
lifting one edge of the paper and turning the paper over! In such a scenario,
the previously top bar of the F is still at the top but pointing left (in
scenario described above, which is also Larry's) the "top" bar is now at the
bottom and pointing left. For me turning the E or the F upside down results in
the bars still pointing right, but, in the case of the F, the top bar is at the
bottom.

Barbara