"slang" and "informal" as dict labels [WAS: shirty?]

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Fri Feb 21 16:27:12 UTC 2003

> However, "of local legend" is dubious, because the Devils play in the
> trans-Hudson area of suburban New York City (their stadium,
> by the way, is in

I was using "local" rather loosely, meaning New Jersey. New Jerseyans grab
onto anything to create an identity that is not associated with NYC or
Philadelphia.

> Also, let me correct a mistake I made.  I should have said
> "Pine Barrens" rather than "Pinelands."

"Pinelands" is a perfectly good synonym for "Pine Barrens." The latter is
standard and more common, but "Pinelands" is often used, as is "the Pines."
"Piney" is the term for those who live there.