The Embeds

Kathleen E. Miller millerk at NYTIMES.COM
Fri Feb 21 17:50:14 UTC 2003

This is from Brian Whitman, Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense Public
Affairs,  speaking at a briefing to the press, January 14th: “... the ideal
situation to me is that you would get an embed opportunity with a unit
that’s leaving from the United States, you would go with that unit, you
would be there through their load-out, through their deployment, through
their send-offs. You’d follow them into their staging area, You’d be with
them when they prepare for combat. You’d go into combat with them. You’d
march on whatever capital we happen to march on with them
 You would return
to the United States with then or to their home base, wherever they might
be, and you’d cover their victory parade. That’s embed for life.
”

SO, some reporters are now "embeds."

Kathleen E. Miller
Research Assistant to William Safire
The New York Times

Gratuitous Opinion Follows: I’m all for freedom of the press and all but
really, embed for life? What would have happened if the 17th Bombardment
Group had an embed in 1942?  Would Doolittle’s raid have been that much of
a surprise? This is reality TV gone WAY too far, IMHO.