Re.: Brittany and other names...

Millie Webb millie-webb at CHARTER.NET
Sun Feb 23 07:36:41 UTC 2003

No way.  We watched Alvin and the Chipmunks when I was little (let's just
say over thirty years ago).  I also had a much older brother named Alvin
(born in 1956?) who was named after my grandfather.  People used to always
comment to my mother (according to her anyway): "how could you possibly name
that poor child Alvin with those chipmunks around?"  She always replied
(again, claims to have) that her father had the name first!

Did you mean the first time that show as aired where there was a girlfriend
named Brittany?  because that could be true. But I know Alvin and the
Chipmunks were around LONG before that. -- Millie

> The tv show with the chipmunks, where there was indeed a girlfriend names
> Brittany, was first aired in 1983.
>
> Sam Clements

Also, our own son is named "Griffin", from my maiden name.  And I have since
noticed a huge explosion of traditional last names as first names, such as
Austin, Morgan, Taylor, Tyler, Jamison, Dylan (or Dillon), Logan, etc.
Seems to me they are most likely to be co-opted for first names if they end
with [In] or [^n].  And most are almost as likely to be girls' names as
boys' names.  Then there are children named for towns, such as Madison,
Cheyenne, Austin (there it is again!), Detroit, Mason, etc.