google verb: don't label as trademark

Wendalyn Nichols wendalyn at NYC.RR.COM
Thu Feb 27 01:57:24 UTC 2003

Just to add a note to this thread (I've been unable to go online for about
ten days due to complications from what ought to have been a
straightforward move within NYC):
I dealt with many trademark lawyers' letters while I was the editorial
director at RH Reference, and I can say without any question that the noun
'Google' can be trademarked, but the verb 'google' cannot. It muddies the
waters to label the verb as a trademark, so Paul, if you've labeled the
verb, I'd remove the label. If you post it lowercase but trademarked, they
can use that to argue with others whom they want to bully into allowing
them to attempt to trademark a verb.  Label the noun only. Attributive uses
of the capitalized noun are part of a trademark but can be left implied,
rather than explicit.

Wendalyn Nichols