Pronunciation of bin Laden's org in the media

Anne Gilbert avgilbert at PRODIGY.NET
Thu Feb 27 18:36:28 UTC 2003

Dave:

> I wonder whether there may be a pragmatic dimension to some
> of these cases: that is, some of these people may think (as I
> do) that "alkaida" is closer to the true Arabic pronunciation,
> but may be deliberately pronouncing it the other way in
> order to show a kind of passive contempt for them.

There are similar mispronunciations(and I think they *are* deliberate) by
certain news personalities, of the name of the Iraqi leader (SODom Hussein
v. the "closer to Arabic "sadDAM")
Anne G