what's M.Phil.?

Wendalyn Nichols wendalyn at NYC.RR.COM
Fri Feb 28 00:31:57 UTC 2003

An M.Phil is also a legitimate two-year degree in England; it's what I got
at Oxford. It's kind of a hybrid between their traditional undergraduate
tutorial system, which involves weekly tutorials, seminar papers, and a
barrage of examinations but usually no thesis;  and the D.Phil, which is
basically the degree you get after you take three years to write a doctoral
thesis of about 250-300 pages. The M.Phil is both taught and examined, like
the undergrad degree, and requires a thesis of around 150-200 pags.

Wendalyn