Treacle Tart (1871); OT: Next Travels

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Feb 28 04:10:44 UTC 2003

   OED beat me on "treacle tart"?  I don't think so.
   From HARPER'S WEEKLY, pg. 142:

Search the Full-Text of Harper's Weekly, 1857-1912

71-02-18

. . . rred that he did
not know what he was eating. On one especial
occasion his landlady had given him hopes of a
fruit pie, but the performance had come far short
of the promise; he had expected bilberries, but
he was put off with a treacle tart.

     "You must smack your lips over a dinner like
this, I should think," was Mr. Horn Winthrop's
graceful comment upon this sad experience.

     "He has earned it, at all events," observed the
. . .

OT:  NEXT TRAVELS ON THE WORLD TOUR

   I'm uncertain about my next travel plans.  I'll be around NYC for tax-time and Passover (March-April), and then I'll head off to Slovenia & Croatia in May.  There are two tours (below) that go there.  I might do a June 15-22 cooking tour of Sicily (below), which could connect to May 29-June 14 Slovenia and Croatia but is 3 1/2 weeks straight.  I know that Kathleen Miller has been to the former Yugoslavia.  Suggestions are appreciated.

http://www.mircorp.com/scaa.html

http://www.adventures-abroad.com/cf/query_tourdetails.cfm

http://tograndmothershousewego.com/pages/Itinerary_sicily1.html