Google

davemarc davemarc at PANIX.COM
Thu Jan 2 02:38:26 UTC 2003

Recalling recent discussions revolving around the name Google, I figured
some subscribers would be interested to know of the following origin story,
which is offered at the Google website.  Please pardon me if this
information has already been considered here.

The Meaning of Google
Google is a play on the word googol, which was coined by Milton Sirotta,
nephew of American mathematician Edward Kasner, to refer to the number
represented by 1 followed by 100 zeros. Google's use of the term reflects
the company's mission to organize the immense amount of information
available on the web.
http://www.google.com/press/facts.html

d.