Geographical euphemisms?

Michael Quinion TheEditor at WORLDWIDEWORDS.ORG
Fri Jan 3 08:59:50 UTC 2003

> Until I saw "Winnipeg handshake" (getting one's face smashed with
> a bottle) online tonight, I wasn't aware that this might form a
> general class of expressions.  "Bronx cheer" seems a likely member,
> as does "Sicilian necktie", and I suppose broader slanders like
> "Dutch courage" might also qualify.

A Glasgow kiss is a head butt (also known, I'm told, as a Gorbals
kiss). A Chelsea smile is a knife slash across the face, in this case
strictly named for the supporters of the football team rather than
the place.

--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words