embetterment?? Idiot??

Fri Jan 3 14:11:29 UTC 2003

Language is also used metaphorically, and the extension of IDIOT into the
realm of MORON (and even MORNON) is so frequent that I would expect at least
some larger dictionaries to make note of the usage. Of course, for the more
extreme critics of the current president, IDIOT is not all that metaphorical,
even given the writer's definition.

My AOL spellchecker rfejects EMBETTERMENT, but even so, I agree with the
writer (elsewhere in her post) that much of the discussion about EMBETTERMENT
is largely "about political B-S," though in my opinion she incorrectly
contrasts "political B-S" with "language misuse." The very term "language
misuse" is itself political in the larger sense of "political"; that is to
say, to attempt to establish that someone else's usage is a "misuse" confers
political advantage on the person who assumes that her usage is a "correct"
use. There are no "misuses," there are only socially differentiable ones. (Of
course, one could reasonably argue that I am arguing that the writer has
misused the term "misuse," I guess. ...)