geographical slanders/euphemisms

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jan 6 17:39:10 UTC 2003

At 12:18 PM -0500 1/6/03, Wendalyn Nichols wrote:
>Those of us who grew up in the Northwest are familiar with the "California
>driver"--a reckless speed demon who disregards traffic rules and never
>comes to a complete stop at a controlled intersection.

Notice, though, that some of these slurs and slanders are not ironyms
in my sense.  A Welsh rabbit is not a rabbit (but what the poor
rabbit-deprived Welsh presumably think is one), nor is a prairie
oyster an oyster.  And the DC parking permit below is not a parking
permit.  But a California driver is a driver, however reckless, just
as a Philadelphia lawyer is a lawyer.  I think the distinction is a
significant one.

Larry