Geographical euphemisms?

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Mon Jan 6 18:30:34 UTC 2003

        Dutch auction, in the descending-price auction sense, is an important financial and economic term, such that if there ever were an alternative meaning (which I doubt), it has disappeared today.  It's listed in the OED (under auction), but no quotes are given.  Here's one from 1834:

>>Then comes the act of 1798, which contains the enactments before quoted, and besides them, these others.--That the Sheriff should set up the whole tract of land, liable for taxes, by way of Dutch auction, and strike off so much to the person who offered to take the smallest number of acres for the sums to be raised.<<

Avery v. Rose, 4 Dev. 549, 15 N.C. 549 (N.C. 1834).

        I haven't seen the 1798 statute referred to in the quote, but I suspect that it describes the method of sale rather than using the descriptive term Dutch auction.

        It's interesting to note how many of these geographical euphemisms are pejorative.  Are there any true ironyms (which Dutch auction, of course, is not, since it really is an auction) that are not pejorative?

John Baker