FW: embetterment?? Idiot??

Frank Abate abatefr at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Jan 8 09:02:35 UTC 2003

Dear ADS listers,

I for one would appreciate it greatly if listers would keep their comments
focused on things linguistic, and rein in passing political commentary
(example cc'd below).

It's one thing if Bush commits a verbal gaffe, as he often does -- that
would be worthy of note and comment here.  But the carryover to general
comments on his mental capacity are unwarranted.

The current prez is decidedly NOT an intellectual.  He is shaky at best at
public speaking.  He may be dyslexic.  None of these things, I think
reasonable people would agree, make him an imbecile, an idiot, a moron, or
anything like that.  They make him different from the previous prez and many
other presidents, yes, but they do not necessarily indicate his mental
capacity or his ability to make decisions.

If you are just trying to be funny, OK.  But if you are airing your
disagreement with the politics of the prez, please take that to another
list, or write letters to the editor of your newspaper of choice.  Besides,
not all of us agree on things political, and the ADS is not, by its nature
or bylaws, concerned with politics of any sort or any side.  Let the MLA and
other "scholarly" groups be political if they so choose; I hope ADS will not
follow that path.

Thanks,

Frank Abate