Question on word from Western Virginia

Towse self at TOWSE.COM
Thu Jan 9 02:46:18 UTC 2003

"Anderson, Bradley Bramwell" wrote:

> I'm trying to find any information on a word heard in Carroll County,
> Virginia. The spelling of the word is unclear; it sounds like "widdie" and
> refers to a pre-pubescent chicken, just before becoming a "pullet" - an
> adolescent chicken. This was (or still is) a common term among farmers in
> the area. Does anyone have any information on the origin of this word or
> anything else about its meaning?

A "biddy" is a "young bird especially of domestic fowl" [ref:
<http://www.hyperdic.net/dic/b/biddy.shtml#n01466271>] although
some other references say a biddy == hen.

Could you be hearing "biddy"?

Sal
--
3K+ useful links for writers, researchers and the terminally
curious <http://www.internet-resources.com/writers/>