RISUMI (an "autocoinage")

Gareth Branwyn garethb2 at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Jan 10 06:00:55 UTC 2003

This is very interesting. It was sent to the Jargon Watch mailbox by
sci-fi author and master blogger Cory Doctorow (of boingboing.net). I
had not heard of RISUMI or AUTOCOINAGE.

 From this week's NTK.net -- "risumi," an autocoinage variant of
"resume."

          The new edition of the Shorter OED came out too early (or
          too late) to include medireview, the Yahoo-generated
          alternative to medieval [NTK 2002-07-12]. We have higher
          hopes for the next edition and "risumi" - a new autocoinage
          spotted by Jeremy Ardley and still, it would seem, growing in
          popularity. A "risumi", word fans, is a special kind of
          "resume" that has been written with a ISO-8859-1/14 character
          set and then sent through a mailer that drops the high bit.
          Lowercase e with an acute accent, minus the top bit, turns
          into an "i". Hence, risumi. Our favourite citation for the
          new dictionary entry: an article by Peter Kaufman, "creative
          strategist" at clickz.com, who confidently declares "Why
          would anyone hire a person with spelling errors in a
          document? Several risumis I've seen over the years have had
          spelling, grammar and syntax serrors that would make you
          either laugh or cry". Coincidentally or not, Kaufman's piece
          is now the highest hit on Google for the neologism. How
          diclassi.
          http://www.clickz.com/article.php/838241