"City of Light"

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Sat Jan 11 18:21:14 UTC 2003

In a message dated 01/10/2003 5:48:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
douglas at NB.NET writes:

> The electric lights would have appeared in public places right around 1880,
>  I think. But before that of course there were gas street-lights, etc.

You are confusing two different types of electric light.

The carbon-arc light was invented by Sir Humphry Davy (178-1829) but did not
become practical until the invention of steam-driven electrical generators in
the 1860's.  The carbon-arc light is far too bright for indoor use but was
used for outdoor illumination starting in the 1860's.  I believe the nickname
"The Great White Way" for New York's Broadway refers to carbon-arc lighting.

The fist incandescant light was invented by a German=American watchmaker and
optician anmed Goebel about 1850.  Goebel's light was not good enough for
practical use and were used only for advertising novelties.  A number of
later inventors tackled the problem of the incandescant light.  Edison made
the first practical one---in combination with his development of a practical
electrical generation and distribution system---in 1880.

Hence it is certainly possible that the term "City of Light" referred to an
urban area lit by carbon-arc lights as early as the 1860's---and the "Second
Empire" lasted until 1870, so the timing fits.

            - Jim Landau