Periodical Contents Index full text

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jan 12 22:44:18 UTC 2003

   Greetings from New York City.  I just gave my Mount Kilimanjaro T-shirt to David Shulman and dropped my Zanzibar spices off at Bonnie Slotnick's cookbook store.
   The newest database of 2003 here at NYU Bobst Library is the Periodicals Contents Index full text database, available on a trial basis.  I've been trying it and it's surprisingly awful.
   As with the TIMES (LONDON) and the AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES, the thing is not done yet.  Only a tiny portion of PCI is full text.  And what is full text is some really obscure stuff.  The British Journal of Aesthetics is full text!  How did I ever sleep at night?
   FYI, this is from the NYU database list and PCI:

FROM NYU:
NYU Libraries: Trial Databases
Help us evaluate new electronic databases and information sources. The following are available for trial:
Periodical Contents Index / Full Text: Trial through Feb 15
Overall dates of coverage: 1770-1991 An online archive of digitized, full-image journal articles, PCI full-text currently provides access to the contents of 228 complete journal runs, providing access to over 3.9 million article pages and over 13 million article records for diverse fields in the humanities and socials sciences.
Comments / evaluations to Jennifer Schwartz jennifer.schwartz at nyu.edu

FROM PCI:
Articles with full text
You can filter your search to only display results where the article record has associated full text (page images). There are currently 220 journals ( 500,000 articles) with full text included in PCI Full Text. PCI Full Text is being enhanced to enable searching within the text of an article in addition to its citation. This functionality has been introduced for the following titles: British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, British Journal of Aesthetics, British Journal of Social Work, Community Development Journal, Early Music and Yearbook of English Studies. This marks the beginning of our programme to include searchable full text for at least half of all forthcoming journals in PCI Full Text.