All that jazz

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Tue Jan 14 02:30:56 UTC 2003

    My thanks to Allan Metcalf for his kind words.  I hasten to add
that the "jazz" treatment represents the work of many scholars, and
that I give due credit throughout the issue.  These include ads-l
members Barry Popik, Rudolph Troike, Jan Ivarsson, Paul Johnson,
Jesse Sheidlower, George Thompson, Douglas Wilson' pioneering
researchers of the term "jazz" Peter Tamony and Dick Holbrook; David
Shulman for his refutation of the 1909 attestation; Bruce Vermazen
for his work on Art Hickman (would anyone have Bruce Vermazen's
e-mail address?).

     I recently noticed a March 30, 2001 e-mail from Gareth Branwyn,
which should have been included. I'll have it appear in the next
rewrite of the treatment.
This is an ongoing project.

     The above list is not complete, but it helps illustrate that the
present project is very much a team effort.

Gerald Cohen