Big Apple Big Onion

Daniel Cassidy DanCas1 at AOL.COM
Wed Jan 15 03:52:44 UTC 2003

A Chairde:

I believe the origin of the Big Apple and the Big Onion as monickers for my
hometown of NYC involves the Irish language. The Irish words Áth (pronounced
Ahh), for a ford or river crossing, and béal (pron. beeul), for the mouth of
a river, appear in hundreds of place names in Ireland.

Big Apple
Big Áth Béal
Big Crossing at the Mouth (of the Rivers)
New York City.

Áth: Ford; a river crossing.
Béal: Mouth (of a river).

+++

Belfast: Béal Feirste: Mouth of the Farset River; or approach to the
sandbank/river Farset.  Béal can also mean “approach to a river crossing place
”  as well as the "mouth" of a river or a person.

Dublin: Baile Átha Cliath: Settlement of the Ford of the Hurdles
(of the Liffey river).

New York: The Big  Áth  Béal: The Big Ford (at the) Mouth
(of the Hudson and East rivers).

New York's monicker, then, incorporates one word each from the Irish names
for Belfast and Dublin, Áth and Béal. The "Big" came naturally. A significant
number of the millions of Irish speaking immigrants who came through The Big
Apple, over the past five hundred years, were bilingual in Irish and
Hiberno-English.

+++

The Big Onion is another Irish monicker for NYC.

The Big Onion
The Big Anonn    (to an ear that hears in English, it sounds like onion)
Anonn
Over, to the other side.

Anonn thar abhainn, over, to the other side of, the river.

Anonn go Meiriceá, over to America

Anonn go Bhig Áth  Béil ... came my own family from the Irish Gaeltacht.

I would welcome feedback. These etymologies are part of a project I have just
completed involving the Irish and Gaelic languages in North America.  I am a
new list member and the director of the Irish Studies Program at New College
of California in San Francisco. I am publishing a series of articles this
spring and summer and would like to correspond with people who have an
interest in the NYC dialect, particularly the old  north Brooklyn dialect. My
other native tongue.

Slan agus Beannachtai,

Daniel Cassidy

Director