On the wagon

Michael Quinion TheEditor at WORLDWIDEWORDS.ORG
Wed Jan 15 17:00:00 UTC 2003

Talking of folk etymologies, a subscriber rather took me to task
today for giving what he said was a false origin for "on the wagon".
When challenged, he said that his version must be right, because it's
on a Salvation Army Web site:

> The phrase "on the wagon" was coined by men and women receiving
> the services of The Salvation Army. Former National Commander
> Evangeline Booth – founder William Booth's daughter – drove a hay
> wagon through the streets of New York to encourage alcoholics on
> board for a ride back to The Salvation Army. Hence, alcoholics in
> recovery were said to be "on the wagon."

[See <http://www.salvationarmy.usawest.org/www_usw.nsf/
vw_sublinks/97B07DC7A43AF80888256BD0007A6059?openDocument>]

--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words