ath and beal equal apple- citations from the tongue of the mouth of the river...

vida morkunas vidamorkunas at TELUS.NET
Fri Jan 17 01:09:54 UTC 2003

Mark's use of 'Sitzfleisch' made me think back (waaaay back) to my days of
studying German.  Sitting meat/skin? what is that? and how does that relate
to our Barry?

I put the word into Google, and eventually found the following:

http://zhurnal.net/ww/zw?BottomPower

Sitzfleisch is another one of those inimitably useful German words.
Literally it's "Sitting Meat". What it means is patience --- as associated
with the gluteus maximus and surrounding padding that enables someone to
perch on a hard chair for hours. In a chess context Sitzfleisch describes
the kind of dogged analysis that a good player has to do in a complex
position. (see Long Think (2002 April 9))

[...]

Not unrelated to Sitzfleisch is the phrase Bottom Power --- a West African
English dialect term for that special feminine callipygean ability to sway
male minds....

Vida.
vidamorkunas at telus.net