Re:       Re: F**king-A

Fri Jan 17 02:59:16 UTC 2003

Well, of course part of what I "heard" was the way I was parsing it at the
time. As I said before, from age 15 or 16 on I just assumed that the syllabic
/n/ was an article, not a participial marker. Since no one ever used a velar
here, why should I think any different? I'm still mystified as to why every
lexicographical source--and most of the people in this discussion--feel the
/n/ HAS TO be a remnant of {-ing}. FUCKING is used as an intensifier in
exclamations (as in "These guys have been talking about the phrase 'Fuck-n-A
for days? Fucking unreal!"), but not in any set phrases that I can think of.
On the other hand, there are lots of sete phrases of the form
Verb+Article+Noun (e.g., "Eat a big one!").

I hope it is clear that I am not saying that the parsing with FUCK is
"wrong"--there is no way that we can expect to construct some sort of
definitive etymology here--as Connie Eble reminds us in her book, when it
comes to slang, multiple etymologies are often the right scientific
conclusion, since the ONLY reality that some slang phrases have are the ones
that are invented by hearers.

Even so, while the parsing as an intensifier would have made sense to me; the
alternative derivation from a deleted ARE (as Mark suggests) couldn't have
worked at all. We were not prone to AUX deletion in eastern iowa in 1956, and
AAVE would have been of marginal influence on my adolescent speech--there
were only five or so African Americans in the whole school, and they were not
very prone to heavy AUX-be deletion. Eastern Iowa in 1956 was also quite
r-ful, so there wouldn't even have been much opportunity for phonological
deletion of ARE, either.

It makes no difference to this argument, but Mark puts a comma in "You
fuckin' A, John!" As I explained in my earlier post, this was not the
pronunciation that we used. There was no pause at all between the "A "and the
"John."