the irish apple and the english apple...

David Bergdahl bergdahl at OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU
Fri Jan 17 19:09:27 UTC 2003

In The Story of English companion volume pp. 170-1 there are maps
delineating the retreat of Gaelic in Ireland.  In 1800 only the area around
Dublin and Belfast as English speaking and the rest Gaelic but for the
population born 1771-1781 only the western half has more than 50% speaking
Irish; that area decreases rapidly after the cohort born 1831-41.

--On Friday, January 17, 2003 1:12 PM -0500 George Thompson