Tanzanite (September 1968)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jan 19 00:55:09 UTC 2003

   My trip to Tanzania wouldn't be complete without an antedate of
"tanzanite."
   OED has 14 October 1968.  It's mentioned that, although the gem is from
Africa, the name comes from right here on 57th Street (Tiffany's).
   I can confirm that with a slightly earlier citation.

LAPIDARY JOURNAL, August 1968, pages 636-637:
_ZOISITE--A NEWLY-FOUND GEM from Tanzania_
("Tanzanite" is not mentioned in the article.  There are 1968 citations from
THE JOURNAL OF GEMMOLOGY and GEMS & GEMOLOGY that I'll check out in the NYPL
later next week--ed.)

LAPIDARY JOURNAL, September 1968, pg. 736:
_MORE ABOUT ZOISITE_
_A New Gem Sensation_
by Richard T. Liddicoat, Jr., and G. Robert Crowningshield
GEMOLOGICAL INSTITUTE OF AMERICA
(...)
   "Tanzanite," to which we refer in this article, is a newly discovered
variety of the mineral zoisite that owes its color to a small amount if
vanadium.  (...)
   The lovely transparent blue variety with a spectacular trichroism was very
recently discovered in Tanzania; thus, the suggestion of a new varietal name,
"tanzanite."  The name was suggested by Henry Platt, G. G., Vice President
and gem buyer for Tiffany & Co., when he received a magnificent Ceylon
sapphire-blue 35-carat faceted stone.
(Pg. 740, col. 3, end of article--ed.)
   Zoisite seems to be a rather unpleasant term for a gemstone, so the
varietal name "tanzanite" has been suggested, relating to its source.  It
seems that for this lovely gemstone to have any possibility of a sales
appeal, some other term than zoisite is indicated; thus, the suggestion of
"tanzanite."  The authors feel that this is going to be an important gemstone
because of its exceptional beauty.  Although the Ceylon sapphire-blue variety
has attracted the most attention, the orientation that gives a combination of
ruby red and blue is unlike anything in the gem world.  Picture a red Maltese
Cross in a sapphire-blue gemstone.  "Tanzanite" is a very appealing
gemstone--a welcome addition to the spectrum of gem materials.