Sausage Sandwich (1871)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jan 20 21:25:51 UTC 2003

   I've been asked some sandwich questions recently.  I don't think I posted this on the "sausage sandwich."  That would be a sausage between two slices of bread--something that was not invented, surely, until the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair.
   The story is "Return of the Landwehr," about the guards of the Prussian Army.  "Hot dogs" in Germany?  Who would have thought that?
   From HARPER'S WEEKLY, 13 May 1871, pg. 431:

Search the Full-Text of Harper's Weekly, 1857-1912

71-05-13

. . . b> erously cheered by the large crowds assembled
to welcome them, and wherever they stopped
hundreds of hands were stretched out for them
to shake, and innumerable were the seidels of
beer and the sausage sandwiches which were
proffered for their refreshment. Should also
one of the troops belong to that particular town,
he was instantly transformed into a hero, and
was proudly recognized and greeted by his fel . . .