Boston lettuce (1878); Roosevelt's currant jelly (1912)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Jan 22 21:23:51 UTC 2003

BOSTON LETTUCE

   17 November 1878, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 9:
   Those varieties that are not furnished plentifully at this season by the market-gardens are received from the hothouses, as, for instance, "Boston lettuce" raised under glass, which brings the highest price.

ROOSEVELT'S CURRANT JELLY

   William Safire, an ADS member who writes an "On Language" column for an obscure publication called THE NEW YORK TIMES, discussed "like trying to nail Jell-O to a tree" on 26 January 1986.  Joe E. Decker, a history professor of the University of Tampa (FL), wrote a letter on 9 March 1986, mentioning a Roosevelt letter in 1915.  On 6 April 1986, Safire re-addressed the jelly issue, using again the 1915 date.

   9 April 1912, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 1:
   "Somebody asked me why I did not get an agreement with Colombia.  They might just as well ask me why I do not nail cranberry jelly to the wall.  It would not be my fault or the fault of the nail; it would be the fault of the jelly."

(Of course!  Who nails cranberry jelly to a wall?  Try STRAWBERRY jelly!--ed.)