New Natl Geog and Sacagawea/Sacajawea & F*ckin A

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jan 22 23:25:50 UTC 2003

At 10:09 AM -0500 1/22/03, Michael Cassidy wrote:
>Ah shucks and gee wiz  Jim & Grant are mad at me!
>Weep weep.

I'd appreciate your damping down the gratuitious flames.

>As "Fuckin A", its simple.
>"A OK" shorten to "OK".
>And on the brief that anything said can be made clearer by adding
>fucking to it,
>'Fucking A OK' shorten to "Fuckin A".
>
>Everyone I spoke to knows it as an afirmative.

I didn't see any cites of "F*ckin(g) A OK" in HDAS among the copious
cites of "f*cking A", and in any case "A-OK" is only cited from 1959,
while "f*ckin A", as discussed earlier in the thread, goes back at
least to Norman Mailer's use in _Naked and the Dead_, 1947 (which
presumably reflects WWII usage, if he can be trusted).  This makes it
pretty unlikely that "A-OK" is the source.

larry