jibe/jive, needs washed

Fritz Juengling Friolly at AOL.COM
Fri Jan 24 06:17:40 UTC 2003

OK. I think the McMinnville/Salem isogloss is easy to explain--you folks got
the college and we gots the state prison, Oregon State Correctional
Institute, State Mental Mospital, and the State Legislature (am I being
redundant?).
Seriously, when I was going out with my wife, I did find it odd to hear her
family say 'needs washed,' but I do hear it often now.  Surely, it was there,
but I just didn't notice it. I'd be curious to know whether this is found in
Missouri and other neighboring states (whence most of the early settlers to
Oregon came). If so, there is a good likelihood that it came with the
pioneers to the Willamette Valley.
I guess the whole business needs investigated.
Fritz (who will do his best to keep our riffraff in Marion County--you can
have West Salem.  BTW, do you folks in McM pronounce the <L> in Polk
(County)?)