needs/wants in/out

Fri Jan 24 16:14:12 UTC 2003

larry's right; non-Midlanders like want plus particles better than
need plus particles, but I don't think the frozen construction
argument will fly here. Erica has used a great variety of contexts
around the items she has sought judgments on. Another interesting
observation of Erica's was that non-Midlanders like nonconcrete
versions of these constructions (It's a good deal; I need in) better
than concrete ones  (It's cold out; I need in). Go figger.

dInIs

At 9:30 AM -0600 1/24/03, Joan Hall wrote:
>And DARE treats this at need (verb) sense 2.  The regional label is
>"Chiefly Midland, especially Pennsylvania."

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to be at Erica Benson's talk, but for me
(and I venture to suggest my fellow northeasterners, or at least my
fellow New Yorkers) there's a big difference between "Bill wants in"
and "The cat wants out" on the one hand (both of which are fine) and
"The dog wants in the house", "The cat needs in the house" (both of
which are impossible).  I'm willing to believe that the latter ones,
with the full PP, are related to the needs/washed + participle, but
the ones with the bare particle (or intransitive preposition, as
people used to call it) seem distinct, and are possibly frozen (like
the poor cat and dog).  "needs in/out" sounds much less likely than
"wants in/out".

Larry

e-mail: preston at msu.edu
phone: (517) 353-9290