"You don't have to be a murderer..."

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Mon Jan 27 18:16:17 UTC 2003

In a message dated 1/24/03 9:20:49 AM Eastern Standard Time, jester at PANIX.COM
writes:

> I'm sure that Mr. Shapiro will apply his statement "my book
>  will be limited to more significant quotations" in order to
>  prevent such random detritus from clogging up his book.

As I commented earlier, it is better for Mr. Shapiro to have an overflowing
slush pile than an empty page in his book.

Which reminds me:  OED2 does not have "slush" in the meaning "unsolicited
manuscripts".  I seem to recall that this sense was used in Aldous Huxley's
novel
_Point Counterpoint_

      - Jim Landau