Is Snail Salad a"regionalism" (or even a word?)

Tue Jan 28 16:51:03 UTC 2003

In a message dated 1/27/03 3:50:09 PM, Bapopik at AOL.COM writes:

>    "Snail salad" should certainly be in the next volume of DARE.  It is an
> American regionalism.  Whether it makes DARE and whether it receives good
> citational evidence are separate questions.

I'm certainly willing to be educated, but I found 8,000 hits for this on
Google, from Hollywood to Rhode Island. It seems to me that anybody who eats
seafood can conceive of seafood salad, and anybody who eats snails could well
eat snail salad. So how can SNAIL SALAD be a genuine compound word at all,
much less a regionalism? Maybe it could be an entry in a cookbook, but It
APPEARS to be just an ordinary noun adjunct, like COMMITTEE CHAIRPERSON or
DICTIONARY MAKER or LEXICON INFLATER.