The secret life of Snail Salad

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jan 29 18:02:54 UTC 2003

True, to the extent you consider a conch/whelk to be a snail.  I have
different mental lexicon entries for snails/escargots and for
conchs/scungilli.  The former is a mollusk eaten in French
restaurants with butter and garlic stuffed stuffed into its shell by
means of that funny escargot-grasping apparatus; the latter is a
mollusk sliced thin (perhaps after hammering flat) and then served in
an Italian vinagrette-type salad preferably with hot peppers, or with
cocktail sauce, or cooked with other sea-creatures in a seafood pasta
or such.  The former is soft and squishy, the latter crunchy.  (And
yes, they're both great, but the former has too much cholesterol.)
The fact that one might not be familiar with "scungilli" as a lexical
item doesn't make "scungilli salad" opaque, since it's denotation is
still computable from that of its parts. If you tell me that they eat
okapi salad somewhere in Africa, I still wouldn't put that in my
lexicon if it's a salad made from okapi, even if don't know an okapi
from a hole in the ground.  Accessible =/= transparent.  (I chose
that one by opening a dictionary at random to the page including
"okapi".)

  I will concede, though, that the opacity or transparency of "snail
salad" with reference to one made of scungilli is not transparent,
since it depends on one's representation for "snail".

larry