Snail Salad vs. May breakfast etc.

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Wed Jan 29 21:22:09 UTC 2003

In a message dated 1/28/03 10:25:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
rkmck at EARTHLINK.NET writes:

> is tuna salad or chicken
>  salad listed specifically in dictionaries?

I always thought I knew what chicken salad was (julienne chicken in
mayonnaise) until once in England I ordered "chicken salad" in a restaurant
near Windsor Castle and got a cold quarter (leg + thigh) of chicken on a bed
of lettuce.  Is this standard English English, or did I encounter an
eccentric restaurant?

Seen on another mailing list:  "If a tin whistle is made of tin, then what is
a fog horn made of?"

      - Jim Landau

In a "theatre" in "Edinboro":
ME:  I'm afraid I'm having trouble understanding what the actors are saying.
NEIGHBOR:  They're from Bristol.  We can't understand them either.