Softscape and hardscape

Towse self at TOWSE.COM
Thu Jan 30 01:29:34 UTC 2003

Beverly Flanigan wrote:

> Now THESE are interesting innovations.
>
> At 10:21 AM 1/29/2003 -0500, you wrote:
> > From a correspondent -
> >
> ><<ca. 1980 when Landscape Design became separated into "softscape" and
> >"hardscape."  Softscape is plants, and hardscape is paths, benches, lighting,
> >etc. Probably derived from software and hardware, which occurred a decade
> >earlier.
> >

> >George Winnacker>>

I first bumped into "hardscape" when the library commission I was
headed was considering a rework of the library's landscaping
maybe five years ago. We were going to combine xeriscape with
hardscape for a low-water-needs landscape.

I hadn't realized that "hardscape" had been around since ca.
1980. I've never heard of "softscape".

Sal
--
3K+ useful links for writers, researchers and the terminally
curious <http://www.internet-resources.com/writers/>