Harding and "hospitalization": a puzzle

AAllan at AOL.COM AAllan at AOL.COM
Thu Jul 3 18:48:43 UTC 2003

In 1921 the Daily Chronicle of London (England) criticized the language of
newly elected U.S. President W.G. Harding's first message to Congress, stating
in part:

"this message gives us 'hospitalization,' which the English speaking world
might surely have done very well without."

That was reported in the NY Times (April 29) and elicited some responses from
readers. One who agreed with the Chronicle has this to say (NY Times, May
13):

"As to 'hospitalization,' has your correspondent [one who said it *was*
already in the dictionary] tested it well with his (or her) ears? A loyal Congress
should now move the primary accent two syllables to the right, the resolution
to be framed by Mr. Knox. We get peace nowadays by resolution. Why not keep
some of the joy in living by the same means?"

The context of the rest of the letter makes it clear that this writer (J.S.
Biggs) disapproves of "hospitalization," but I don't understand what he means
by moving the accent, or how that would contribute to the joy in living. Can
anyone elucidate this?

Thanks - Allan Metcalf