No subject

degustibus degustibus14 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jul 4 18:01:12 UTC 2003

Today's Oregonian attributes the term "swimming suit" to Jantzen:  "Jantzen created the term 'swimming suit' around the time the first woman swam the English Channel.  Before that they were called 'bathing' suits or costumes."

My OED (not the most recent) gives a 1926 (Sun Also Rises) Hemingway quote, the same year Gertrude Ederle swam the Channel.

Now the Sun Also Rises was published in 1926, which means that it was probably written at least a year --if not more--before 1926, suggesting that the term "swimming suit" was in use.  (I guess that makes it "around the time" Ederle swam the Channel.)