Jelly Beans (1897)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jul 5 00:03:01 UTC 2003

  I had found 1899, then 1898.
  There is a nice jelly bean selection at Dylan's Candy Bar
(www.dylanscandybar.com), at Third Avenue and 60th Street.  The jelly bean company declares its
been in business since 1898.  If you're ever in my neighborhood and need
cavities, stop Dylan's.  They played the song "Sugar Rush" and had a tv with the
old Reese's commercial when I visited...I don't know if their "hot vanilla" is
worth recording.
   Again, from the newspapers at ancestry.com...This new dictionary that I
just bought still has 1905 for "jelly bean."  I can't even give this stuff away
for free and without credit.  Oh, just kidding.

   22 December 1897, TRENTON EVENING TIMES (Trenton, NJ), pg. 1, col. 2:
   J. F. Seeger owns the stand, but in addition he now has a large fruit
store at 135 North Broad street, where he is doing a large holiday business.
Fancy cream chocolates, French mixtures, caramels, jelly beans, cream wafers,
candy toys, choice Turkey figs, dates, grapes, mixed nuts, paper shell almonds,
English walnuts, and sugar coated corn are among the many desirable Christmas
delicacies he is now disposing of.

   24 December 1897, TRENTON EVENING TIMES, pg. 6, col. 4:
Jelly Beans...10c per lb