"gay agenda"

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Sun Jul 6 18:01:41 UTC 2003

"Liberal agenda" and "conservative agenda" are quite common, and date
back to the sixties. The difference is that the phrase "gay agenda"
implies a secret program, i.e. a hidden agenda -- as does the phrase
"having an agenda." (That's what was troubling about Scalia's use of
the term, I think -- he referred to "the agenda promoted by some
homosexual activists directed at eliminating the moral opprobrium
that has traditionally attached to homosexual conduct." The idea
here, as best I can tell, is that gay efforts to remove the stigma
attached to homosexuality are somehow surreptitious or oblique rather
than up-front.)

Safire did a good column on this phrase on September 16, 1984. He
reckoned "hidden agenda," "private agenda," and "secret agenda" as
dating from the early 1980's. I haven't been able to determine when
"agenda" was first used in this sense all by itself, or when "having
an agenda" acquired a sense of having a secret program.

I've  wondered whether this usage has anything to do with the
introduction of "agenda" as a name for a datebook, a usage that I
assume was borrowed from French or Italian. The earliest cite I've
found for this is from a Washington Post article on "Date Books of
the Rich and Famous" of 12/31/1984: "Film producer John O'Brien
records addresses and phone numbers with stick-on tabs in 'my
traveling desk,' as he calls his refillable Italian leather-bound
agenda." But my guess is that that will be easy to antedate. (This
sense is not recorded by the OED, the AHD, or MW, by the way.)

Geoff Nunberg