Soup Kitchen (1826, 1831, 1832, 1833)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jul 8 05:43:29 UTC 2003

  I've been asked to beat OED's 1839 "soup kitchen."  I'd already beaten it
with 1831, but here's more information.

(ADS-L ARCHIVES--1831 "SOUP KITCHEN")
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0210B&L=ads-l&P=R5971

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES ONLINE)(1826)
The Escritoir or, Masonic and Miscellaneous Album. Being a Periodical
Journal, Devoted to Masonry, Science and Arts, Popular Tales, Miscellany Current News
&c., &c (1826-1827), Albany; Apr 8, 1826; Vol. 1, Iss. 11
MISCELLANY.; MY GRANDSON'S LIFE AND TIMES.; pg. 85, 1 pgs:
   A spacious soup kitchen was erected in the rear of each theatre, from
which the actors received their salaries by the day, in basins.  Successful
authors, in lieu of the receipts of the third night, received a perpetual free
admission to the kitchen.

(LITERATURE ONLINE)(1832)
Carlyle, Thomas, 1795-1881
Biography [Boswell's Life of Johnson] [in, Fraser's Magazine for Town and
Country] (1832) 209KbFraser's Magazine for Town and Country
Biography [Boswell's Life of Johnson] [in, Fraser's Magazine for Town and
Country ...] 206Kb
Found 1 hit:
BOSWELL'S LIFE OF JOHNSON. 167Kb

...Penny-a-week Committee-Lady, no manager of [H]Soup-Kitchens, dancer at
Charity Balls, was...

(LITERATURE ONLINE)(1833)
Morgan, Lady (Sydney), 1783-1859
Manor Sackville (1833) 410Kb
MANOR SACKVILLE. 408Kb
Found 1 hit:
Main text 394Kb
SCENE II. 86Kb

...are,---you, who established such nice [H]soup-kitchens at Bally something,
you must...

(I'm assuming that "soup kitchens" is in Carlyle's 1832 review, and not in
the e-text of LIFE OF JOHNSON?--ed.)