Fwd: Time Out Magazine

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Thu Jul 10 13:35:18 UTC 2003

Laurence Horn wrote:
>anyone help with this?  I can figure it out to the extent that it
>would mean the same as "Let's blow this joint" (on the 'place', not
>'special cigarette' sense of the object), but why pop stand, I can't
>guess.  I'm sure Time Out would be happy with any reply, and we'd all
>be happy to be apprised non-telephonically.  I assume a google search
>would be less desirable than first-hand encounters with pop stands
>and the blowing thereof.

I thought the expression was "let's blow this taco stand". I have no
clear idea of *why* this expression just popped into my mind. But
since you mention google...here's a first page hit on "blow taco
stand"--the first one that appears to refer to this
idiom--<http://phrases.shu.ac.uk/bulletin_board/4/messages/822.html>
On the other hand, blow+"pop stand" and blow+"popsicle stand", both
give a fair number of hits, some of which are quite amusing;
blow+"taco stand" gives substantially fewer.

Alice Faber                                             faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203) 865-8963