Jimmies (1954); American Chop Suey (1938, 1939)

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Fri Jul 11 04:28:49 UTC 2003

Laurence Horn wrote:
>>>DARE also says it's a trademark, although neither Barry nor I could find any
>>>record of it at USPTO. The Just Born candy company (originally of Brooklyn)
>>>claims that they coined and trademarked "jimmies" in the 1930s. If they did,
>>>they never registered it. They have other registered trademarks, both
>>>current and historical, but not "jimmies."
>>
>>You'd think it odd then, wouldn't you - that growing up in Brooklyn
>>in the 50s I only heard/used/ate sprinkles - if a Brooklyn company
>>supposedly coined/trademarked/manufactured "jimmies."
>>

>Ditto me, in distant Manhattan, same era.  Just sprinkles.

In Westchester, just north of NYC, they were sprinkles. I've always
thought of "jimmies" as a specifically Boston name for sprinkles.

Alice Faber                                             faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203) 865-8963