Jimmies (1954); American Chop Suey (1938, 1939)

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Fri Jul 11 14:41:15 UTC 2003

My parents, from NE Mass, use the "loom" pronunciation for
"loam."  As far as I know, they have no connection to SE Mass, so
the pronunciation must extend a ways up the coast.  They don't
have college degrees, though they've both taken college courses,
FWIW.

Joanne Despres
Merriam-Webster