Jimmies (1954)

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Fri Jul 11 15:38:06 UTC 2003

I know I've heard of sprinkles and never, until now, of jimmies.  But I
have  at best a nodding acquaintance with them so am forced to admit that
I'm not entirely sure what the definition encompasses.  There are the
little chocolate bits, and then there is another thing that's like large,
multicolored sugar crystals.  Does "sprinkles" (and presumably also
"jimmies") cover both, or only the chocolate kind?

Veering slightly off topic, the chocolate kind are a staple for breakfast
and the other cold meal of the day in Holland, where they are one of many
toppings that may be put on bread and butter.  They're called "muisjes,"
which is the diminutive of muis 'mouse' but in this case alludes to the
resemblance to mouse droppings.

Peter Mc.