Potica (1932)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jul 12 03:30:12 UTC 2003

   "Potica"  is in the latest volume of DARE, from 1965,  It's described as
"Slovene."  John Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD AND DRINK (1999) gives
it as "poticia," with a 1991 cookbook cited.  He says it's popular in
Minnesota.  There are over 2,500 Google hits.
   OED ("if it's your national dish, we don't have it") has no entry.
   I haven't been to Slovenia for literally days...Ancestry.com has a number
of newspapers from the midwest, so here goes.  The earliest hits (eight of
them) are all from Sheboygan, Wisconsin.

   11 March 1932, SHEBOYGAN PRESS (Sheboygan, Wisconsin), pg. 14, col. 2:
   A very delicious menu has been prepared and will consist of the following:
a choice of breaded pork chops or beef roast, mashed potatoes and gravy,
string beans, home made bakery including potica, also ice cream and peanut squares
and coffee or pink tea.

   26 May 1932, SHEBOYGAN PRESS, pg. 12, col. 5:
   Home-made potica, the well-known Slovenian delicacy and home-made noodles
will also be obtainable.

   29 December 1934, SHEBOYGAN PRESS, pg. 7, col. 4:
   A delicious menu has been arranged which will include typical Slovene
dishes and also American.  The popular home-made delicacies including "potica" and
also "pink tea" will be served.