the brights (NY times op-ed)

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Sat Jul 12 23:04:29 UTC 2003

This seems right to me -- and the caps on "Secular Humanism" are
instructive. In fact it's hard to see how this sense could have
emerged before the late 1950's, with the first stirrings of what were
to become the culture wars. I found an unambiguously polemical use in
a letter to the WSJ in 1970 from a professor of Biblical theology:

The radical transition in the public schools over the past couple of
generations has not been toward "neutrality." It has been rather a
shift from the value system of Protestant Christianity toward that of
an increasinly dominant secular humanism. .. Although in the public
school pro forma all religions are equal, in fact the religion of
secular humanism is more equal than others.

Geoff Nunberg