Mongolian Barbecue (1958); Barnyard Epithet (1960)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jul 13 06:42:28 UTC 2003

MONGOLIAN BARBECUE

   A little earlier, and from Taiwan.

   23 June 1958, MONROE COUNTY NEWS (Albia, Iowa), pg.5, col. 4:
_Formosa Bids_
_For Tourists_
   TAIPEI--(UPI)-- (...)
   Restaurants specialize in the cuisine of the various Chinese
regions--everything from Mongolian barbecue to Cantonese dumplings, pork, beef, chicken,
and fish spiced and bedazzled with sauces that impart tastes as indescrible
(sic) as a fourth primary color.

BARNYARD EPITHET

   A recent William Safire column discussed the "barnyard epithet," so I
looked for citations.  I think he gave credit to this late author for coinage:

Author  <A HREF="http://catnyp.nypl.org/search/aLukas%2C+J.+Anthony%2C+1933-/alukas+j+anthony+1933-/-5,-1,0,B/browse">Lukas, J. Anthony, 1933-</A>
Title   The barnyard epithet and other obscenities; notes on the Chicago
conspiracy trial [by] J. Anthony Lukas. Drawings by Irene Siegel. [1st ed.]
Imprint New York, Harper & Row [1970]

   However, we have earlier:

   11 October 1960, GUTHRIE CENTER (Guthrie County, Iowa), pg. 2, col. 1:
   But we trust that behind the scenes they are doing something more
realistic.  They might, for instance, remind Mr. K. (Khrushchev--ed.) that his
barnyard epithets are hardly conducive to friendly talks.

   24 June 1970, POST-CRESCENT (Appleton, Wisconsin), pg. 34?, cols. 3-4:
   The very notion of a large-scale enemy assault from Cambodia is dismissed
in the highest military circles here with a barnyard epithet.
(Column by Joseph Kraft--ed.)