Questions about hash house lingo

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Mon Jul 14 13:03:12 UTC 2003

On July 1, 2003 Barry Popik presented an interesting 1886 item on
restaurant slang (aka hash house lingo). I understand the rationale
for most of the terms but am uncertain about some others:

1) "bull you, bowl up' (beef soup)--I supposed that "bull you"
derives from "bouillon"; but why "bowl up"?

2) "mut, up one" (pork and beans). Explanation: ?

3) "an Archer avenue comin' on the run" (pork and beans). Explanation: ?

4) "Corn Johnny" (corn bread).  Why "Johnny"?

5) "brown the Jack" (corn bread).  Why Jack?

6) "corn for the neighbor" (corned beef).  Why "for the neighbor"?

7) "brown stone front" (porterhouse steak). Why "brown stone front"?

    Any help would be much appreciated.

Gerald Cohen

(Excerpt from message Barry sent):