Yale's "Boola-Boola" (30 October 1900)--Where disseminated?

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Mon Jul 14 18:57:27 UTC 2003

 This is very interesting.  Would Fred let us know where his findings on "boola boola" are disseminated.

Gerald Cohen

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Fred Shapiro [mailto:fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU]
	Sent: Mon 7/14/2003 12:19 PM
	To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
	Subject: Re: Yale's "Boola-Boola" (30 October 1900)

	> BOOLA-BOOLA

	 and neglecting my own findings, more widely disseminated...

	"Boola Boola" is clearly an adaptation of an 1898 song by African-American entertainers Bob Cole and
	Billy Johnson entitled "La Hoola Boola."  The melody is virtually
	identical to the earlier song.  When the Yale Boola song was published in
	1901, it had a notice "Adapted by permission of Howley, Haviland &
	Dresser."  Howley, Haviland & Dresser was the successor publisher of "La
	Hoola Boola."

	Since Hirsch clearly took the word "boola" from the earlier song, I would
	conjecture that it originated because Cole and Johnson wanted a word that
	rhymed with "hoola" and it has no other meaning beyond that.

	Fred Shapiro